Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday Spotlight

Spotlight on...ME!

Last week, Steve did a write up on his passion for cinema. This week, it's my turn. My story isnt so different. Being born in 1972 gave me the opportunity to live in a great time for movies. The 80's. I lived Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Indiana Jones, E.T. for the first time with everybody else. It was truly a great time for movies. The first movie I remember seeing in a real theatre was Star Wars. I was a freshly turned 5 year old boy in 1977 when this hit the world. I was mezmerized from start to finish. I cut out the ads from newspapers to save. I collected every toy I could get my greasy mitts on. I think I loved my first movie.


Fast forward 5 years to 1982. I was 10 years old the year I saw my first real horror movie, Creepshow. To this day, this stands as one of the best horror films I can think of. It scared the pants off of me. This was my first exposure to Stephen King, George Romero, Tom Savini. It was a great introduction. This is the one that got me hooked on horror films, without a doubt.



The 80's had many great horror films I enjoyed. Probably not age appropriate but, it was a dirrerent time then. We didnt worry about mass shottings or any thing like that. Folks didn't blame movies for doing bad things like they do now. Movies were fun, an escape from the real world.


People ask me what my favoraite movie of all time is. That can be a difficult question to answer for many film buffs. It's like naming a favoraite child. If I were to pick one film to watch on a desserted island, it would be Jaws. This is always on the top of my list. It is a film I can watch anywhere, anytime. The story is so good and the acting is top notch. Jaws is pure movie magic at it's best.


I didn't always set out to review films or write about them. I do enjoy sharing my passion about them with other people who are interested though.  I met Steve through work and found we shared the same love for movies. We don't always see eye to eye but, that's part of the fun.

This is just a few points from my life as a cinephille. if you'd like to join out growing Facebook page, click the link below. We'd love to have everyone share their thoughts on this great hobby of ours.



Click here for our Facebook page

 

No comments:

Post a Comment