Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sunday Spotlight: Best Movie Years



This week on the Sunday movie spotlight we are going to do something a little different.
We are going to discuss what we consider the best years for movies.  Every so often there is a year that comes along where there seems to be a large amount of great movies. For most critics that year is 1939 when Gone With the Wind, Wizard of Oz, and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington came out.  Today we are going to give you our opinions on what the best year is.

For Steve that year is 1999
For me 1999 was a great year all around and great movies were only
a piece of that.  There were so many great surprises that year it's hard to know where to start.

For me the biggest surprise of 1999 and a movie that became an instant classic was The Matrix.  Watching the previews before it came out it looked kind of stupid.  But I am glad I saw it in the theater   The movie blew me away with it's action sequences and crazy mythology.







Then in the summer of 1999 we get a horror movie that will created a new genre. The Blair Witch Project came out with a unique marketing strategy for an extreme low budget horror film.   Get people to watch it by making them believe it is a documentary and given rise to the found footage genre of horror movies.  While some don't like the shaky camera aspect of the movie I found it unnerving and completely different from anything that came out before it making it one of my favorites of the year.
Also during the summer we got a different kind of horror movie that had one of the biggest surprise endings.  I am so glad I got to see The Sixth Sense before I heard the ending.  While I wouldn't consider it a horror movie it was suspenseful and had an ending I did not see coming.


Speaking of great endings that fall brought us another great one.  Fight Club was dark and violent and the people I saw it with didn't like it. But I thought it was great.  After watching it a second time knowing the ending it is a completely different experience.


Those are just a few of the great movies from 1999.  Others include American Beauty, Boys Don't Cry, Cruel Intentions, Dogma, 10 Things I Hate about You, The Mummy, and Galaxy Quest.
Check out the  IMDB list for highest rated movies of 1999



-Steve



For Chris the year is 1984
My favorite year for movies is 1984. There were some truly great films that came along that year. I turned 12 that summer and I think that's when I really caught the movie bug.




Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom came out in Spring
that year. This was a great adventure movie and sparked the
return of Indiana Jones. This is my favorite Indy movie. It
was dark, with some truly scary characters. This was the first
movie I had a poster on my wall for.
















Ghostbusters came out of nowhere for me. This is one of the most iconic films to date. I remember this being the first film I had to see more than once in the theatre. I can't remember how many times I saw it.













Another great, timeless classic is Gremlins. Who hasn't seen
this film? Spielberg owned the 80's and, this proves it. 1984
was a far better year for having this gem.










Wax on, wax off was a catch phrase of 1984 thanks to this film.
The Karate Kid was the Rocky of the youth. It was also the inspirational story of the 80's. A total feel good movie. It also helped local Karate schools boost memberships across the country.













84 also brought other great films such as The Terminator, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Amadeus, The Neverending Story, Revenge Of The Nerds, Check out Rotten Tomatoes top 100 films of 1984
Top movies of 1984


  - Chris

1999

1984





No comments:

Post a Comment