This week on the Sunday Spotlight we take a look at the movies that we are most excited for in 2013.
1. Evil Dead - I was very skeptical when this was first announced. After seeing set photos and the first trailer, I was sold. This looks like it will be THE horror film of 2013.
2. Star Trek into Darkness - I really liked the first film in this reboot of the franchise. This looks to continue the story and expand in it's alternate timeline. Definitely one to look for.
3. Man of Steel - Zach Snyder's first 2 feature films were great films to start a directing career. He has slipped a bit with his recent films but, Man Of Steel looks to bring him back. With a great cast and Chris Nolan producing, This looks great.
4. Oz the Great and Powerful - Cards on the table, I am a fan of James Franco. Directed by Sam Raimi, a very visionary director, Oz looks good. While, it may be too intense for young children, this looks like a fun family film.
5. The Hobbit 2 - This chapter should up the ante in the action area. An Unexpected Journey set us up for more great adventure. Looking forward to seeing if the 48 fps technology has advanced any.
6. Iron Man 3 - Robert Downey Jr. and Ben Kingsley star in the third Iron Man. The second film left much to be desired for many fans but, this looks to right those wrongs. I just hope that Downey's "schtick" doesn't get too old.
7. World War Z - Brad Pitt is in a zombie film. I never thought I would be typing that. Based on parts of Max Brooks (Mel Brooks' son) book, this has a great story to tell.
8. A Good Day to Die Hard - Bruce Willis returns as John Mclane. What's not to look forward to?
9. Pacific Rim- With what looks like a live action Robotech movie, I was on the fence about adding this. I have faith in Del Toro's directing though and am a big fan of his.
10. Elysium - With Matt Damon and Jodie Foster, Elysium has a lot going for it. Directed by Neill Blomkamp, this should be nothing short of a thrilling sci fi thriller.
I want to start by saying that many of the trailers for the big movies coming out this year have not really excited me. Movies like Man of Steel, Pacific Rim, The Lone Ranger and even Star Trek into Darkness have given us less than stellar trailers. I will say the exceptions are Iron Man 3 and Evil Dead both of those movies do look good but I didn't want to duplicate any of Chris’ picks so we could include a larger number of movies and that is why they are not on my list.
1. Now You See Me – This looks like a fun heist movie with an all-star cast. Including Jessie Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, and Michael Caine.
2. This is the End- One of the funniest trailers I have seen so far for this year. A movie with actors playing a version of themselves in a post-apocalyptic world. With Seth Rogan, James Franco, Jonah Hill, and Danny McBride.
3. The Wolverine- I am excited to see where this movie goes. It looks like it will be a darker movie then the previous Wolverine. I was excited when Darren Aronofsky was set to direct and am a little disappointed he stepped away from the project but I am still excited to see it.
4. Saving Mr. Banks- A true story about how Walt Disney bought the rights to Mary Poppins to turn it into a movie. The script has been getting a lot of attention and casting Tom Hanks as Walt Disney seems to fit. The movie feels like Oscar bait.
7. Gravity- Alfonso Curon directed one of my favorite sci-fi movies of recent years Children of Men. This time he takes a journey into space with George Clooney and Sandra Bullock. I am hoping he can create something equally as interesting as he did in Children of Men.
8. Only God Forgives- Another director reteaming with an actor. This time it is Nicholas Winding Refn reteaming with Ryan Gosling. The last movie they made together was the violent but slow Drive. This time Ryan Gosling is involved in a brutal boxing match so looks to be much more violent.
9. Kick-Ass 2- The first Kick-Ass was a pleasant surprise in 2010 and I am hoping that the sequel can recapture thzt fun.