Friday, December 7, 2012

Movie Review: Lincoln (a second opinion)



So I finally saw Lincoln and it was worth the wait. It was a great movie.  Not sure what else I can add to what has already been said. Check out Chris's Lincoln Movie Review

I pretty much agree with him. Daniel Day Lewis gives a great performance along with Tommy Lee Jones. The only other performance I would highlight is Sally Field as Mary Todd Lincoln. You feel her heartbreak and her attempt to put on a brave face for the sake of her husband and country.

I guess what was surprising to me was how well rounded the movie was. It has it's dramatic sequences but also has it's funny moments. One specifically features excellent banter between Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones. The same can be said about the portrayal of  Lincoln himself. Someone asked me if the movie portrays Lincoln in a bad light.  The answer is no, it portrays him as a complicated person who can connect and motivate people, has a sense of humor, and knows how to play the political game. So, if you like to see Lincoln as infallible maybe this isn't the movie for you.

I have heard some find the movie slow and boring. I guess that can happen if you expect a Civil War action movie. But this is a movie about politics. So expect big fancy speeches not lots of shooting.

My take home message from this movie is that politics is ugly even for someone that is considered one of the greatest presidents. The division that we see today in politics is nothing new we just have to hope that history will look back and say we did the right thing.

Overall 4.5/5 some of the speeches might have been a little too fancy but the story always keeps moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment